Florence Hotel La Gioconda Art streets
VIA DE' PANZANI
Via de' Panzani is a stretch of street going from the end of Via de' Cerretani to Piazza dell'Unità d' Italia, but originally it arrived at Via del Giglio junction and was called Via del Pantano. It seems that, in the time of Dante, this unhealthy area, was occupied by marshes, from which the "pantano" name. Some experts argue that the name comes from a certain Firidolfi family from Panzano, but it doesn’t result that they had their homes there. The road begins then from the crossroads with Via De' Banchi and, already when it was enlarged, in the 19th century, it had an ancient vocation for the hotel hospitality, thanks to its closeness to the train station.
Many ancient and noble buildings in the surrounds are still tourist accommodations. A plaque placed on the building façade at no. 17, remembers that there, on 22 October 1867, was hosted Giuseppe Garibaldi and were always in this area the homes of the families Manovelli, Carnesecchi and, perhaps, Martini. At the end of the 15th century many of these buildings were purchased by Michele di Carlo Strozzi, but only at the beginning of the 18th century was built a real noble building, called the Palazzo dalle cento finestre (One hundred windows palace) because it has, on the four sides, about 100 little openings. On the Canto, or corner, of the Carnesecchi, where converge Via the Cerretani, Via Panzani, Via de ' Medici Rondinelli and Via Banchi, was placed, in 1599, a marble group “Ercole che uccide il Centauro Nesso”, by Giambologna, subsequently moved to the Loggia de' Lanzi, and the palace itself was called “Strozzi al centauro”.
In the inside, the most interesting room is the great Sala da Ballo, characterized by decorative medallions representing themes related to music and dance, and frescoes in the original colors from the time of Poggi: blue plaster with architectural relief elements in white. In the Carnesecchi district, was placed a tabernacle, artwork of Domenico Veneziano, now at the National Gallery in London, dated 1440-1444 and commissioned by Bernardo Carnesecchi. In the adjacent Via de' Rondinelli that goes towards Piazza Antinori, here are many noble palaces: at n. 1, the 15th century Palazzo Adorni Braccesi , with the Adorni family crest on the corner, and in the side opposite to the n. 2, there is Palazzo Pasquali, buit in the 16th century for Andrea Pasquali, a medicean court doctor, also with the family crest on the corner, a rampant deer with one star. It follows Palazzo Portigiani, with the Portigiani’s crest on the façade, and finally, at n. 7, where a plate remembers that the author of Pinocchio, Carlo Lorenzini, best known as Collodi, lived there.
He was his brother guest, an administrator on behalf of the Ginori family, the manufacture of the famous porcelain of Doccia, Ginori-Conti. The adjacent Via de' Cerretani which goes to Piazza del Duomo is also rich in fascinating historical buildings. On the corner with Piazza dell'Olio there is Palazzo del Bembo, then Palazzo Bezzoli-Martelli, one of the most significant examples of 14nd century Florentine building. It was built with the intervention of Arnolfo di Cambio, architect of the nearest church of Santa Maria del Fiore. In the 18th century it became seat of the Albergo dell'Aquila Nera, where Mozart and his family were hosted, as the plaque placed by the municipality of Florence, remembers.
Always in Via de' Cerretani, on the corner with Via Borgo San Lorenzo, you can admire the Torre dei Marignolli belonging to the ancient family of the Marignolli, a family installed here where there was the ancient Porta Aquilonare or of the Vescovo (bishop) in the high medieval walls circle. A 16th century tabernacle is placed in the corner and represents a Madonna con bambino e teste di angeli. Near the crossroads with Via de' Cerretani and Via Zannetti, is located Palazzo Martelli, the Museo di Casa Martelli seat, which contains a gallery of valuable paintings and sculptures, in addition to furnishings of the 700-800’s epoch. The tabernacle on the Palace façade contains a Madonna by Mino da Fiesole. Via de' Panzani and the adjacent streets, are characterized by the presence of many griffe shops, such as Gilardini, Lorenzi, Marina Rinaldi, famous restaurants as the historical Sabatini, prestigious leather shops as Bojola, not forgetting Richard-Ginori, where you can buy the famous porcelains of Doccia. A walk in Via de' Panzani and nearness, is an attractive opportunity to breathe Florentine art and history and have in the same time the opportunity to make a shopping of class and taste typical Tuscan dishes in elegant and refined places.